COMT Techniques for the Low Back and Pelvis-Tupper Lake
When: September 22-23, 2018
Where: Knights of Columbus, High St. Tupper Lake, NY
Clinical Orthopedic Manual Therapy (COMT) of the Low Back and Pelvis is a 2-day hands-on workshop that covers beginner, intermediate, and advanced assessment and treatment techniques for the manual therapist when working on the client’s low back and pelvis. The topics covered are: body mechanics for deep pressure techniques; working the psoas major safely and effectively; stretching techniques for the low back and pelvis, including functional group stretching and advanced multiplane, contract relax (CR; also known as PIR or PNF) and agonist contract (AC; basis of AIS) techniques; and joint mobilization techniques for the sacroiliac and lumbar spinal joints, including traction. The underlying mechanisms for the assessment and treatment techniques of the low back and pelvis are discussed and explained. The approach of this workshop is to teach from the perspective of critical thinking so the therapist can creatively apply the techniques for clinical orthopedic work on their clients.
Presenter: Dr. Joe Muscolino
• Dr. Muscolino is a licensed soft-tissue oriented chiropractic physician with a private practice in Stamford, CT. He has been in practice since 1985.
• Dr. Joe taught anatomy and physiology at Purchase College, State University of New York (SUNY) for five years.
• He also taught kinesiology and musculoskeletal and visceral anatomy, physiology, and pathology courses at the Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy (CCMT) from 1986 – 2010.
• Dr. Muscolino is also an approved provider by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) for continuing education (CE) credit for massage therapists and bodyworkers and runs numerous advanced study workshops.
• He offers multiple levels of Certification in Clinical Orthopedic Manual Therapy (COMT) around the US and the world.
• COMT is open to all manual and movement therapists/instructors/trainers, including massage therapists, Rolfers, physical and occupational therapists, Pilates and yoga instructors, fitness trainers, and university professors. COMT covers orthopedic and palpation assessment, body mechanics for deep soft tissue manipulation, stretching (beginner and advanced), and Arthrofascial Stretching (AFS) – Soft Tissue (Grade IV) Joint Mobilization.
He also runs in-services for instructors of massage therapy, covering topics such as how to teach muscles, muscle palpation, kinesiology, and more; as well as in-services for Pilates and yoga instructors and fitness trainers on all subjects of musculoskeletal anatomy and physiology, and kinesiology.
• Dr. Muscolino served as a subject matter expert on the Exam and Continuing Education committees of the NCBTMB.
• Dr. Muscolino is the author of eight major publications with Mosby of Elsevier Science and two major publications with Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins.
o The Muscle and Bone Palpation Manual with Trigger Points, Referral Patterns, and Stretching, 2nd Edition
o Kinesiology, The Skeletal System and Muscle Function, 3rd Edition
o The Muscular System Manual, The Skeletal Muscles of the Human Body, 4th Edition
o Manual Therapy for the Low Back and Pelvis: A Clinical Orthopedic Approach
o Advanced Treatment Techniques for the Manual Therapist: Neck
o Musculoskeletal Anatomy Coloring Book, 3rd Edition
o Flashcards For Bones, Joints, and Actions of the Human Body, 2nd Edition
• And he has also contributed to and written the foreword for multiple textbooks by other authors in the field of manual and movement therapy.
• Dr. Muscolino writes a regular feature article for Massage & Bodywork Magazine. He has also written articles for the Massage Therapy Journal (mtj), the Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies (jbmt), Massage Magazine, Massage Today, the Journal of the Australian Association of Massage Therapists, the Australian Journal of the Association of Massage Therapists, Massage Australia Magazine, Terra Rosa e-magazine, and the e-newsletter Deep.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT THE CHAPTER OFFICE AT: 585-582-6208 OR OFFICE@AMTA-NY.ORG
Early registration ends August 25, 2018, so register today!
Early: $240 | Regular: $400
Early: $400 | Regular: $560
Payments of cash will not be accepted at the door - only checks or credit cards.
CEH’s will be granted only to those who register and attend the entire class. No partial credit can/will be awarded.
Cancellations of more than 14 days prior to a class are eligible for a full refund. Cancellations less than 14 days are not refundable, but monies less a $100 processing fee may be applied to any future AMTA-NY Chapter event. No shows are not eligible for refund or use on future classes. Cancellations are based on post mark or email date and all cancellations must be in writing. Exceptions made only with approval of the AMTA-NY Chapter Board of Directors. Continuing Education Credit Certificates given only upon successful completion of class. No partial credit will be issued. Partial refunds for non-completed classes given only in emergency situations and with Chapter President’s approval.
AMTA New York Chapter is an Approved Provider for continuing Education by the NYSED Office of the Professions State Board for Massage Therapy (#003)
and by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) (#450787-08).
We welcome all licensed massage therapists and currently enrolled massage therapy students to our classes, however per New York State law, you must have a New York State massage therapy license to participate in the hands-on portions. (Currently enrolled students may participate in hands-on if accompanied by their school instructor.)