Oncology Massage Beginnings – What You Need to Know to Safely Work with Oncology Patients- Glens Falls
When: October 5-7, 2019
Where: The Conkling Institute, 79 Warren St, Glens Falls, NY 12801
Instructor: Christine Bailor-Goodlander
The student will:
• Recognize the basic steps of cancer metastasis, and ease concerns that massage and increased circulation could spread cancer.
• Communicate clearly about common massage therapy adjustments for cancer.
• Modify massage therapy for typical cancer presentations.
• Adapt massage therapy to common side effects and cancer treatments, including chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation therapy.
• Intake assessment completion for Oncology clients.
• This workshop will increase your skills as a communicator and listener
• Learn what is important to know and what the right questions are to achieve a comprehensive understanding of your clients health status
• Understand your role as an Oncology massage therapist and when to refer out
• Discuss the psychological impact of cancer on both the client & the therapist
• Use of supports, bolsters and the positioning of the client taking into consideration the disease, any lines, ports or collection bags as well as treatments such as surgeries
• Demonstrations will include how to work in a variety of positions as well as in a chemotherapy chair
• Contraindications and cautions for cancer massage will be covered
Please bring your table, linens and lubricants for the hands on portion of this class.
Instructor: Christine Bailor-Goodlander
Christine Bailor is the owner of The Body Essential Holistic Fusion Wellness Center, located in Williamsville, New York. She is a Registered Professional Nurse and a Licensed Massage Therapist, in NYS and PA, as well as being Board Certified. She graduated from Sisters’ Hospital School of Nursing in 1985 and the New York Institute of Massage in 1999. Christine continued her education at St. Joseph’s College in Windham, Maine and the CORE Institute in Tallahassee, Florida. Her main areas of practice are Structural Integration, Myofascial Therapy and Oncology Massage. As one of only two CORE Certified Structural Integrative Therapists in the Western New York area, Christine provides clients with an individual treatment regime, combining her specialized skills to obtain maximum benefit from the work. She has been trained in a spectrum of massage practices and regularly shares her knowledge with her fellow therapists.
Early registration ends September 7, 2019 so register today!
Early: $360 Regular: $600
Early: $600 | Regular: $840
Payments of cash will not be accepted at the door – only checks or credit cards.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT THE CHAPTER OFFICE AT: 585-582-6208 OR OFFICE@AMTA-NY.ORG
CEHs and certificates will be granted only to those who register and attend the entire class. No partial credit will be awarded.
Cancellation requests made prior to 14 days of class start date are eligible for a refund less a $20 processing fee.
Requests made 14 or fewer days before the class will receive a credit less a $100 processing fee applicable for AMTA course offerings within a year of cancellation.
All cancellation requests must be made in writing and are based on date of post mark or email.
Any exceptions must be approved by the AMTA-NY Chapter Board of Directors.
Partial refunds for non-completed classes given only in emergency situations and with Chapter President’s approval.
No-shows are not eligible for refund or credit for future classes
AMTA New York Chapter is an Approved Provider for continuing Education by the NYSED Office of the Professions State Board for Massage Therapy (#003)
and by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) (#450787-08).
We welcome all licensed massage therapists and currently enrolled massage therapy students to our classes. Per New York State law, you must either have a New York State massage therapy license to participate in the hands-on portions or, in the case of massage therapy students, be directly supervised by your instructor or other NY licensed massage therapist.